Monday, January 7, 2013

Ferrando’s Pizzeria in Aiken, SC

The Facts:

Pizza: Ferrando’s Pizzeria
Business Category: Locally-owned
Location: 3555 Richland Ave. in Aiken, SC
Date of Review Visit: December 12, 2012
What I Ordered: Small (10’’) hand-tossed pizza with sausage and pepperoni; Dr. Pepper to drink
Price: $9.31 (includes drink and tax but not tip)

The Micro:

Crust: The crust is New York style: crispy and significant without being bulky.  Thus, this is a good crust.  The only downside was that the crust was very hard to cut with my knife.  Score: 9/10.

Sauce: The sauce has a nice, fresh taste to it.  The amazing thing to me is how well the sauce fits in with the rest of the pizza.  Often I hardly realized the sauce was there, and that is not because the pizza is undersauced; very good.  Score: 10/10.

Cheese: Ferrando’s uses premium cheese, and I could taste the difference.  Sprinkle on some parmesan cheese for even more flavor.  Score: 10/10.

Toppings: The classic sausage and pepperoni combination works its magic again.  Both high-quality meats have enough spicing to give them zest but not enough to be overpowering.  Score: 10/10.

The Macro:

Appearance/Atmosphere/Service: The pizza’s appearance is perfecto.  The atmosphere is similar to a fine bar and grill complete with televisions and pictures on the walls.  The service was a little slow on my visit even though there were only two occupied tables in the restaurant: I had to refill my own Dr. Pepper because the waiter never returned to do it.  Score: 8/10.

Value: It is hard to find pizza this good for less than $10, but that is exactly what you get here.  If this were a 12” pizza the value would be excellent; as is it is very good.  Score: 9/10

Taste: Ferrando’s claims to make pizza via an old family recipe from Italy, and the overall taste bears record of that.  Have I eaten better tasting pizza?  Probably.  Have I eaten it recently? No.  Score: 19/20

The Final Judgment:

Ferrando’s offers excellent pizza at a very good price, and it is the first pizza to earn a 70+ score from me.  I wish I lived closer to Aiken so that I could come here more often.  Score: 75/80

No comments:

Post a Comment